Monday, August 09, 2010

Query Letter Week 2

Hello Reader!  I'm going to continue from last week in posting possible query letters for all of you to critique!  After getting a few comments back (thanks so much!) I've adjusted my query letter accordingly, and even came up with a completely different one.  Try all three on for size, and tell me what you think!  If you would like to go back and see the other query letters, please click here.  You can also view last week's post here.  Enjoy!  Please comment, critique and suggest!

Query 1:
On the island country of Atlantis, Prince Briok Adam Cwornas Cwartel is born into an era of uneasy peace.  With an absent father and a mother possessed of an iron-will, Briok grows to become petulant, brave, and ambitious. Then on the day of his father’s funeral the immortal Amar tells him that he is the final Magna Beast, heir to the throne of Mags and Prophet to an alien people. With new rumblings in the perpetual war between Mags and Howlas, Amar must quickly train his young charge to murder the enemy before the reaper shows its face.


Standing in the way is a growing mafia civil war, led by the arrogant Tory Cross against his former mentor Howard Crim.  Blaming Howard for the deaths of his brother and nephew, Tory uses newfound technology to conquer his enemies.  His mad rage threatens to bring down the well-ordered society of Atlantis Amar helped create. In order to keep Briok safe Amar enacts a dangerous battleplan that blurs the line between what is right and what is wrong.

Query 2:
On the day of his father's funeral, Briok Cwartel learns that he is the final heir to the throne of the Mags--one of two races that invaded the planet Earth over a millennium ago.  Along with the title of Magna Beast, he is tasked with the murder of the King of Howlas, the Howlamega.  Only a young man at the birth of his journey, Briok's life is threatened by a growing mafia civil war.  Led by the arrogant Tory Cross against his former mentor Howard Crim, the war not only could kill Briok, but also bring down the well-ordered society of Atlantis.
Possessed with a desperate need to die, the immortal Amar is mentor to the half-human, half-Mag Briok's as he becomes the Magna Beast following his father's death.  With Tory's rage over the death of his both his brother and his nephew threatening to destroy everything, Amar enacts a battle plan that blurs the line between good and evil.

Query 3: 
It is the year 3096, and the scene is Atlantis’ clear azure shore.  Fourteen-year-old Briok Cwartel is running from the wanton brutality of the Howla mafia, screaming for help.  Refuge arrives in the form of Eli the Mad, a Mag warrior gifted in the art of murder.  His skill and brutality save Briok from the yawning maw of death.  Taken to safety, Prince Briok Adam Cwornas Cwartel is told by his dead father’s advisor, the immortal Amar, that he is the Magna Beast, King of the alien Mags and Prophet to their people.

Quickly educated on the holy wars of the Mags and Howlas, Briok is told that he must confront and kill the Howlamega, savage leader of the Howlas and murderer of Briok’s father.  His quest does not take him far however, forcing him to deal with the dual pressures of history essays and Lara Heken’s grey eyes while training for premeditated violence.  Along the way Briok’s life, and that of Atlantis’ well-ordered society, is threatened by a growing and violent mafia civil war.  With the mafia on one side and Briok’s petulant nature on the other, Amar decides to enact a battleplan that blurs the line between good and evil – and just may let him die.

There they are!  Again, please tell me if they grab your interest.  Or do they just sound too ridiculous?  Also, let me leave you with this link.  It's an article from the Daily Beast which outlines the 15 most underrated authors of today.  I'll post about it next week, but please tell me what you think!  Until next time then!

5 comments:

  1. I don't have the time for a detailed comment at the moment, but I just want to say that all of these are SO SO SO much better than your previous incarnations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think in terms of style, I prefer the last one. In terms of content, I prefer the first.
    Specifically, I think if you spliced together:
    - paragraph 1 from Query 1
    - The last sentence of paragraph 1 of Query 2,
    - "Briok is told that he must confront and kill the Howlamega, savage leader of the Howlas and murderer of Briok’s father. " from query 3
    - the 2nd paragraph of Query 1

    and go from there, you'll have solidly established the background of your story.

    haha like Italy, I agree that this set of queries is definitely better than the previous ones. I don't have time to critique all of them in depth, but once you settle on a final version, i'll nitpick it as much as you'd like me to =p
    good job, and ganbatteyo!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carson11:04 PM

    Reza, I finally took time to read one of your famed blog posts. I had no idea you wanted to write a book! From reading these queries, it seems like you have a whole universe laid out. Reminds me of J.R.R. Tolkien.

    Your dedicated readers may already know this, but I'm curious: is your story focused on Briok and his development or Amar and his desperate will to die? Or is this the first story in a series? Or am I completely wrong?

    The "clear azure shore" scene gave me chills. Of course, a single scene can conjure up different feelings among different people, but for me, and I’m adding in my own vision to this, I saw waves of a peaceful ocean gently brushing up against the beach underneath a light maroon sky defiled by gray and black clouds. However, overall, I like query 1 the best. Unfortunately, the clear azure shore scene doesn’t fit well with query 1’s beginning.

    And finally, (again, this may be due to the fact that I haven’t followed your blog), going along with my understanding that this story is an epic, why is the year specified in query 3? Wouldn’t it be more grandiose if you didn’t tell us the year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carson! Welcome to the blog, I'm really really glad you decided to check it out! I'm actually, in this first book, trying to focus on both! But the story is told from Amar's point of view. And yes, this is a possible first in a series.

    WOW I'm super super happy you got that image! You're completely right, everyone sees something different. But I'm glad that line even remotely made an image pop into your head! :D And alright, Query 1 I really appreciate the feedback!

    The year being specified was me trying to tell the agent my novel is set in the future. I agree that the query by itself would definitely feel a lot more epic in nature if the year weren't told, good point! Again, I appreciate the feedback!

    @Angie, wowo thank you for the detailed critique! I really do appreciate it, and when you put it all together, what you say makes sense! I'll definitely take it into account I appreciate the time you took! And thanks for the words of encouragement, I deeply appreciate them!

    @Italy, hey! Don't trouble yourself if your busy! You've helped out so much so far, it'd be presumptuous of me to ask any more. Take your time, and hopefully next week I'll have something great to show everyone! I really appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my attempt at query splicing. I know it's not what I normally do, as I try to give helpful comments and such, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to say anything. HOWEVER, if you wish for me to do it properly, I shall. :)

    "The year is 3096, the scene is Atlantis’ clear azure shore, and the day is Prince Briok Cwartel’s father’s funeral. It is here that he learns that he is the final heir to the throne of the Mags--one of two races that invaded the planet Earth over a millennium ago. Along with being a prophet and a king, he is tasked with one more incredible responsibility: the murder of the Howlamenga, or his counterpart in the rival alien race called the Howlas.

    Leading him through the psychological trauma of premeditated murder is the immortal Amar, a man who has been mentor to many past Magna Beasts. But this time Amar has to not just teach but also protect, for a growing and violent mafia civil war threatens to both kill the young Magna Beast and take down Atlantis’ well-ordered society.

    With the mafia on one side and Briok’s petulant nature on the other, Amar decides to enact a battle plan that blurs the line between good and evil – and may just let him die."

    P.S.--keep the 'clear azure shore' bit and the 'may just let him die' bit in whichever query you produce at the end, if possible. And the 'threatens to kill and take down the society' thing. :)

    ReplyDelete